Sunday, October 4, 2009

What does a doula do?

Each doula is unique in her own business and ideology of the birth process. And each client is also unique in her needs!

As your birth doula, I will work with you and your partner to discover what kind of birth you desire, and do everything I can to help you experience it. This includes writing a birth plan to reflect your wants and needs for your birth.

As your birth doula I will:

  • Answer any phone calls or emails during your pregnancy
  • Set up at least two prenatal visit with you and your partner (this can also include going to a doctor or midwife appointment with you)
  • Remain on call for two weeks before and two weeks after your due date
  • Provide a back-up doula in the event I am unable to attend your birth
  • Help you labor at home
  • Provide suggestions on positioning and movement
  • Offer information on procedures and protocol for you to make an educated decision
  • Stay throughout your labor, my shift does not end
  • Provide support to your partner
  • Stay until breastfeeding is established
  • Follow up with a postpartum visit
  • Write your birth story as a gift to you and your family
  • Remain available for you to help with any questions after your baby arrives!

As your postpartum doula, I will also come up with ways to make the transition back into your home the smoothest possible.

As your postpartum doula I will:
  • Offer ideas for baby soothing methods
  • Show you baby massage techniques
  • Provide information for baby care and breastfeeding support
  • Help with baby laundry and organization
  • Give you time to nap, eat a meal or shower!
  • Play with older children, or help with the baby while you get some one-on-one time with your older children.
  • Provide some companionship
  • Answer any questions you have about postpartum topics such as: depression, milk storage, nursing, sleeping, scheduling, organization, cloth diapering, play groups and other local resources for new moms

2009 Fees and information

Birth services:

$450 -- Includes two prenatal visits, the birth, and one postpartum visit

A nonrefundable retainer ($225) is required for me to put your due date on my calendar. I request the rest of the payment at our last postpartum meeting (or a month before your due date).

I do work on a sliding scale, and can also offer a payment plan. I am very flexible, so please discuss payment with me!

Postpartum services:

$20/hour -- Initially, at least four hours need to be scheduled, with payment in advance. ***10% discount on postpartum services if I was your birth doula.

No comments:

 
Blog designed by TwispiredBlogdesign using Lily's Spring Garden kit.